Thursday, January 8, 2015

The First Couple Days in Namibia!

Hey everyone! As many of you know, I am in Namibia, Windhoek for the next five months studying at the University of Namibia Windhoek in elementary education! Along with studying at the university, I will also be interning at the Windhoek Pre-Primary in their pre-K and kindergarten classrooms as well as interning at a local after-school program for second graders in reading. These five months will be such an incredible and life-changing experience, and I am so excited to see where I go and what I do.

So after 23 hours of travelling across the world, our group has officially arrived to Namibia and has begun our incredible five month program. I was worried about the flying (we had two 11 hour flights and a 2 hour flight), but it actually wasn't too bad! I slept a lot so my jet lag hasn't really affected me. Thank goodness! On our drive from the airport to the Emona Hostels (where we live), we saw a baboon running alongside the road which was awesome. I've only seen baboons in a zoo so seeing one in a city was mind-blowing. I'm super excited to go on our safari and see more exotic animals.

For the month of January, our group is taking a history of Namibia course taught by an incredible professor who is the department chair for basically everything. She is so knowledgeable about the history of Namibia and we are super lucky to have her as our professor. This country is so different than ours so learning about Namibia requires a whole new schema. She has an accent (everyone has accents! We have accents!) since English is everyone's second language so there are sometimes misunderstandings between what she says in "Namlish" (Namibian English) and what we understand. For example, today a couple of us thought she said paper or pepper traders when she really said perpetrators. It was hilarious when we put two and two together. The history of this country is very interesting and I can't wait to learn more throughout this month.

I'm going to hopefully post a blog every Friday (who knows if that will actually happen haha) so keep a look out for my new adventures in Namibia! I miss and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment